Softlink IC Blog
Subscribe to our quarterly update
The Softlink Scoop – Edition 21/2018
A weekly round up of library and information centre news and opinions from around the world.
Check out the images of the 20 most important inventions of the 20th century from the refrigerator to penicillin, from the jet engine to the personal computer and mobile devices!
The Bodleian Libraries’ announcement that they were displaying their restricted section, is reported in the Guardian UK’s Sian Cain on the 8th of November. As she notes, history is littered with examples of librarians actively protecting the peoples’ right to information without censorship, sourcing books and material that was banned at the time. Some librarians have done despite the possibility of harm or death. While many librarians are familiar with some of the examples provided by the author, the examples would be not familiar to even the most avid of library users and supporters never mind those who do not.
November 12-18th is World Antibiotics Week. The World Health Organisation’s website provides information, an interactive platform on learning how to handle antibiotics with care and advocacy material such infographics and posters.
Useful trivia titbit
While many of you may not have been around in 1971, many of us were. We were right in the middle of the personal computing revolution that has seen many workers, not just library workers, paddling madly as the learning curve got higher and higher!
But, for those who remember – 1971 was the year Alan Shugart and a team of IBM engineers invented the “floppy disk”. The disk allow data to be shared among computers.
- You or Your LMS Vendor – Who Controls Your Library’s Business and Security Settings?
- Employee Spotlight – Jeff O’Keeffe
- Got Satellite Collections? Manage Them with Liberty Link
- The Softlink Scoop – Edition 03/2019
- 5 Brilliant Benefits of Liberty v5 to Whet Your Appetite
- So You Think Your Library Homepage is an Attention Grabber? Wait ‘til you Personalise it!
- Data Conversion – Why Softlink Information Centres Does it Better
- The Softlink Scoop – Edition 02/2019
- Showcasing Liberty and illumin at ALIA’s 2019 Conference
- Softlink IC’s First Liberty Virtual User Group Meetings for 2019